Parents as Therapists
With the high costs associated with raising a child with autism, many parents are desperate to find ways in which to support their children with limited financial resources. Many states now allow insurance companies to cover some or all of the costs of services such as speech and ABA therapy. However, there are still some families in need of additional options that will improve the outcomes of their children.
Organizations like Rethink Autism offer cost-efficient alternatives for families who may be in need of additional support or who, for whatever reason, may not be able to cover the cost of therapy. Rethink Autism specifically supports families, caregivers and professionals through guided instruction using targeted "behaviorally-based teaching strategies..." with a "sequence of 7-10 minute training modules model all of the research-based techniques used in our expert-reviewed, video-based lesson curriculum in jargon-free accessible language."
As with any program, families should do their research before making any final decisions. Questions that should be asked during the decision-making process include:
- What do I want for my child?
- What am I getting for the money that I will be paying to use the service?
- Are the recommended strategies research-based?
- Will I be able to chart my child's growth as I am using the program?
- How do the programs compare to one another?
- Does the program offer support through email or by telephone if I have questions or concerns that I need to be addressed?